Don't smile, don't laugh, and wipe the smirks off your face. Just because you've been through it doesn't mean you need to throw your head back and laugh your guttural laughs. Please share your tips and tricks. Below are things that I've been doing that aren't working.

Rewards: one fruit snack for yellow and a chocolate snack for brown.
If panties have brown in them no candy. Okay, that didn't work.
If panties have brown in them, you have to flush the chocolate down the potty. Okay that got a great reaction the first time, with hysterics and bawling. The next time she was quite excited. Now she always talks about throwing chocolate in the potty.
I'm getting decent reactions with this one but it's still not doing the trick: brown in the panties, you have to take them off. She hates taking them off because she gets the whole view of the tarnished underwear, oh and the smell is great. She just cries out "yucky." I sit there and smile and tell her she has to do it. She's the master, now she gets to clean her masterpiece. Next she gets to play the dunking game with her canvas. She actually enjoys this part and I just roll my eyes. I have to caution her that if she gets too excited and flings the canvas out of the potty that she will get brown watercolors all over the place . . . .how gross.

The problems I am running in to are that if I don't tell her it's time to go potty and make her sit on the potty, there will be a mess to clean up. The bathroom gets cluttered with a chair for me to sit on . . . why do they require someone to sit there with them? Alex had the same problem - not a loner on the potty. The bathroom also hosts several books, some of the favorites are The Big Hungry Bear and The Red Ripe Strawberry (we all have this memorized); Big Dog, Little Dog by Dr Seuss (parts of this one are memorized); princess books, etc. Alex likes to bring a chair in to sit on for some of the occasions (come on, any privacy in the potty?). Oh, and of course there is Briella too, who doesn't ever want to be left alone. . . mind you, the bathroom is very small.
Another problem is she doesn't really care if she's wet and doesn't really notice. I mean, I think she notices but it's not a big deal for her. This morning she told me she was dry . . . yeah right, there was a rainbow of colors.

She stays dry during naps and at night - I just have to get up before she does to make her go potty before she goes on her own. She's old enough, she's ready, and I'm not putting a diaper on her again. She wears pull-ups on occasion with princesses on them but the princesses get drenched a lot of the times as well.

Any ideas? Any help? Anything is much appreciated!

6 comments:

Obviously I have nothing to say, since my almost 3 year old is still wearing diapers! :)

June 21, 2008 at 6:13 PM  

Well I was going to say she's not ready, but if she's in panties she's in panties and you don't want to go back. I got nothin for you. I'm not there yet with my 2 year old!

June 21, 2008 at 8:35 PM  

Oh I wish I could help you out, but like the other two comments I don't have any perfect answer. I went straight from diapers to undies with Kinsley and it did the trick for us. We only had one day of stinky mess, so I guess we just lucked out. We did the sticker method and then big treats for the stinky stuff.So sorry I'm not more help :(

June 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM  

A friend of mine said that when her little boy pooped his pants, she took him outside and sprayed him down with the water hose. Never again has he pooped his pants.

June 24, 2008 at 2:58 PM  

Hey Mindy,
Sorry, I don't have any help either, but I went thru a hard one potty training too. (He still won't go #2 in the potty either- and he turns 4 in 2 days!) If it helps you feel better, look it up on my blog:
Mon, Apr 7th
http://joeandlarahaymore.blogspot.com/2008/04/joys-of-potty-training.html
I think he finally just got over it and gave up. Sad to say, he's a little strong willed. There was no magic for this kid.
Good luck! I feel your pain!!!
Lara :)

June 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM  

I know I'm a couple of months behind. . . . Do you have a sticker chart? I'd put a small one for yellow and a big one for brown, and then when Daddy comes home he asks her how many she got today.

It was great to find your blog through Kate's. I'm happy to see you have such a beautiful family. Good luck!!!

August 28, 2008 at 6:41 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home