The Laundry Fairies

Aahhh!

I have the worst job EVER!

I have the BEST job ever!

With my day-to-day routine of being your average, typical Stay-At-Home, Mormon mom - I do survive. I decided a long time ago that I needed to find joys in the mundane, routine, and simple things of my life. I feel like I've mastered one of them and that is cooking. If I'm going to make most meals at home, three times a day, with snacks in between, I better learn to like it. I've found that variety and trying different foods and recipes is my cure-all for that necessary task in life. There are also great benefits to being able to cook. Sometimes I sit down to a yummy meal and thank myself that I can make something taste good. I'd really hate cooking if all my meals tasted like "BLEH."

My biggest problem of "this" life is I can't seem to enjoy laundry. Sorting, washing, drying, sorting, folding, putting away. Oh, and don't forget "stain control." Yes - I've tried to enlist my kids in doing their own laundry, well at least folding at putting away. But their reactions and tantrums mixed with my hatefulness of laundry doesn't make doing this task any better.

A couple of days this week, I did laundry. I tried something different, as I always do to try and see if I like it better. I have done this before but this week, I had a smile on my face about doing laundry. Instead of taking all the laundry upstairs to fold and put away - I left if downstairs on the couch, and planned on watching some great cooking shows as I folded. I did my workout and lunged one way and started sorting, then lunged the other way. So while I was exercising, I sorted the laundry into individual piles. Well the two little girls saw their laundry in a pile and asked me if they could fold their clothes! Hallelujah! I tried not to act as if angels were floating all around my house showering us with good-laundry feelings, and said "sure, you can fold it if you want to." Happily, they folded their laundry. Once the laundry was all folded, I called on the laundry fairies.

The laundry fairies have come to visit my laundry in the past. But I needed them again to make trips up and down the stairs. They never fold, they just put clothes away. So I let the girls know that I didn't think the laundry fairies were coming today (reverse psychology) because it was cloudy outside and they probably didn't want to fly in the dark clouds. Then I turn my head and out of the corner of my eye, Kayla and Briella start gathering up clothes in their arms. Then I hear little scampers up the stairs. "Where did Kayla's pile of pants go?" I cry out - and little giggles of laughter are heard throughout the house. This dialogue happens with the entire houseful of laundry until all is put away. I love my laundry fairies and hope they come and visit all the time.

3 comments:

Oooo... can I borrow the laundry fairies. All my little fairy likes to do is go play in the pile of clean clothes on the bed not fold and put them away for me. :( My fairy must have missed training day.

March 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM  

OH, how fun.

March 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM  

Oh how I wish I had those laundry fairies! Just to hear those cute giggles and laughter! Good Job.. you so amaze me!

Love,'Mom

March 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home