Trevor had a couple of weeks off from work to finish up my recovery time. The last week we decided to go camping. Our original plan was to camp at Granite Flats but after driving through the campsites there and seeing no shade over the tables, and Alex "testing" the bathrooms, I said "we are going to Timpanogos campground!"
Day 1: Arrive at campsite and set up. We are the only ones around. We have the campground, flushing toilets, sink, and mirror all to ourselves. "Alex, make as much noise as possible, and when a car drives by, make more noise!"
Dinner: Spaghetti and meatballs with french bread.
Day 2: Breakfast: Breakfast burritos (the boiling in the bag method doesn't work).
Hiking to Stewart Falls.

Alex and Trevor leading the pack.
The rest of us: Briella, Kayla, Papa, and of course, I'm taking the picture. The hike was very nice and beautiful.

Briella loves hiking!

Stopping to rest and listen to one of Papa's awe-inspiring tales.

Kayla realizing she doesn't like hiking and deciding to go back to camp. Trevor and Alex went ahead and Papa and I helped Kayla back to camp.

Confirmed. Kayla DOES NOT LIKE hiking. Oh, what a mess the hike back was . . wailing and gnashing of teeth, snot, and tears all the way down the mountain. Too bad we didn't get to see the falls. And too bad I didn't send the camera with Trevor.
Lunch: figure it out yourself.
Dinner: Steak, garlic potatoes, green beans and Oreo cheesecake. Grandma came up for dinner.
Day 3: Breakfast - pancakes and sausage with orange juice. Lunch PB&J, apples, and chips. Dinner: Mexican Skillet and Grandma joined us again!
Hike to Cascade Springs. This was a lot easier hike for Kayla and she was in a stroller the whole time. We learned our lesson.


This is the way we like hiking!
Day 4: Breakfast was french toast and bacon with orange juice. Lunch was PB&J, apples, and chips. Dinner: Beef Stew with parmesan onion bread.
Hike Timpanogos Cave - Trevor and I took Alex and we had a great time until halfway through the cave.

Starting the hike. We were really hoping Alex could make it and had great faith he could do it.


photo by Alexander Thompson
photo by someone noticing a four-year old with a camera and offering to take our picture
Heart of Timpanogos Cave. *Note to self (and any others): make your four-year old go to the bathroom whenever it's provided, especially on long hikes. Even if there is a hole in the ground and your four-year old refuses and says he doesn't need to go - make him. And after the pants are wet from caving, make him visit the bathroom or you'll have wet pants from the hike down the mountain. Oh, but a side trip home for a nice bath I'm sure was almost worth it to Alex.
Favorite times were sitting around the fire, eating carmel popcorn or rice crispy treats and talking.
Things learned: make dinners and desserts ahead of time and freeze, saves on preparation, packing, and clean up. Test your new cooler lid before buying it even if you think it's the best. Kayla doesn't like hiking. Alex needs to use the bathroom as much as possible. Choosing to go camping the first week school starts - brilliant idea. Wipes are essential not only for baby's, but they are like a bath in a bag.
Amber Williams said...
Sounds like a fun camping trip! I can't believe you were hiking the cave just weeks after your sugery! I like your new blog look. It's cute. And I'm glad you took off the Simpson's comic. I hate the Simpsons! :)
September 8, 2008 at 8:58 PM
Snarr mama said...
Looks like fun! We're going on one last campout next weekend to Maple canyon. We REALLY need to get together with everyone soon! I miss hanging out with good friends!
September 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM
Heather said...
Fun, fun, fun!! Did you ever go camping as a family growing up? I don't recall that ever happening. I also recall listening to my mom complain and complain about camping and so we didn't do it very often. And since I've been married...I've only done it twice.
September 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM
Dave and Loralee said...
IMPRESSIVE!!! I can't believe you were able to camp for that long! It looks like so much fun. And your blog looks so cool!
miss you-2 more months till we're there!
September 11, 2008 at 12:13 PM